The first historical name of a right-bank part of city - Svyati Hory (Sacred Mountains) - is known from written sources of XVI century. Since 1624 in Svyati Hory was found man's monastery in a cretaceous rock. The monastery becomes the first constant settlement on right-bank parts of city. Taking into account often attacks and robberies of the Crimean Tatars, in second half of XVI century was organized border services near Donets' river includes also 5-th Svyatohirs'ka guard. In 1787 monastery was closed by Katerina's II decree, and his property have given to treasury. In 1790 empress has presented it to Hrygoriy Potyomkin. In 1844 the monastery was restored. The right-bank part in documents was called Svyatohirs'k, left-bank - Banne. For short time cave temples have been updated, were constructed new churches, cases and economic buildings. In 1922 the monastery was closed, on its territory was organized the rest house. In 1927 on mountain have built a 22-meter 800-ton monument of Artem. It was executed in style of cubism. Since 1964 Banne has receives the status of city and renamed in Slovyanohirs'k. In 1980 there was created the state historical-architectural reserve. Since 1992 the monastery operates again, in May, 15th, 2003, city officially renamed in Svyatohirs'k.