Documentary mentions about the town refer to 1362 when Podolia became part of Great Lithuanian principality.
Since 1374 it had some rights of a town. In 1432 it was given the Magdeburg Right. Since 1463 it was a royal town. In the XV century there were built Dominican, Franciscan cathedrals and some Orthodox churches. In the center there was erected a town hall. As the first emblem there was used a portrayal of St.Yuri killing a dragon with a spear. There is no any reliable pictures of it.