For the first time it was mentioned in 1152 in Ipatiiv chronicles. In the XIII - XIV centuries it was the centre of the Hlukhiv personal principality.
Since 1648 it was a squadron town of Nizhyn regiment.
In the 1669 in Hlukhiv there were signed "Hlukhiv articles" between hetman D.Mnogogrishnyi and representatives of the Russian tsar providing for restoration of autonomy of Ukraine.
Since 1708 till 1722 it was a residence of hetman D.Apostol, since 1750 till 1758 - of K.Razumovs'kyi.