The settlement existed already in 1152. In XIV century it belonged to Kirdey family (branch of Hois'kyi Kyrdei that was granted a noble title and an emblem (three lilies) by a French king.) They have constructed here the castle, and 1495. Bohdan Hois'kyi has achieved the privilege on fairs. In documents from second half XVI century settlement appears as city. In 1992 modern emblem (the author of the project was J.Kaljuh) developed. The symbol represented a figured cut board in the form of the stylized cross completed castle tower above. On a gules background were three argent lilies and date "1152".