On the place of the modern Ochakiv a settlement has been existing since the VI century B.C. Since the end of the XIV century it was a Lithuanian fortress with the name of Dashkiv (Dashiv). In the XV century the town was captured by the Crimean Tartars. According to one of the theories the origin of the name comes from the Tartars "Achi-kale" meaning a fortress near the sea. Since 1791 the town was under the Russian jurisdiction.