The city was found near small Boromlya river in the middle of XVIII century by cossacks and peasants-fugitives from Trostyanets' of modern Vinnitsa oblast'. The first written mention about it concerns to 1660, when church was built here.
In the end of ХVII century the manor in city passes to princes Golitsyns. It was the period of active farmstead building when landowners created in the manors whole palace ensembles. In 1749 there was built Round court yard. The construction looked like a fortress with four three-storyed corner towers. For inhabitants the Round court yard already became a city symbol.