The annalistic data testify to the basis of this settlement by prince Volodymyr Great at 980. Zavoryts'kyi small city entered into Trubizh system of defensive fortresses at the ancient times. It is known the significant role of this city as strengthenings near Trubizh ferries in the Middle Ages. It was residence of the polish-royal deputy and "border" princes. Since 1648 it was cossack squadron city.