It was found as railway station at 1869 by construction of the Odesa-Kharkiv railway. The station has received the name of village Znamyanka located for 3khms. from it. That village was found at 1730 by immigrants from the central Russia (it is probable - from Znamens'ke village of the Oryol province).
Station and office was constructed in the Black wood. The Black wood is located on a right coast of the Ingulets' river. During the tatar attacks on Kyiv and Podillya there passed the Black way which moved tatars. In the wood they concentrated the groups before attacks. In 1764-81 the name "black" was applied to large territory of modern district which entered into Black hussar military settlements. Naturalists connect of the name "Black wood" with dark oak trees.