The first mention refers to 1044. The origin of the name comes from a fortification Novyi Horodok which appeared on the place were lived tribes of Sivertsy.
Since 1098 it became the centre of Sivers'ke principality. Since 1619 it was under the power of Poland.
In 1620 it has received the Magdeburg Right.
Since 1644 Novhorod-Sivers'kyi became a town of Starodub regiment.
The emblem was granted in 1620 by king Sigizmund III. Vert; mural wall with a tower. On the sides were spear and saber or. The emblem symbolized a decisive repulse of the inhabitants to the army of Lzhedmytryi in autumn 1604.